Learn about updating a complex Drupal 7 module to Drupal 8, in the context of Salesforce Suite, and gain valuable insight to apply to your own open-source development projects.
In the fall of 2013, Aaron Bauman started to work on the first iteration of a port of the Suite from D7 to D8. Dozens of meta-comments, half a dozen refactors, and hundreds of hours later, Salesforce-8.x-3.x is picking up steam.
In this session, we'll explore aspects of navigating the dozens of new Drupal 8 APIs, architectural decisions when planning your projects, issues management, and team coordination. We'll look at Salesforce Suite's implementation of some specific APIs including:
- Queue API and extending Drupal core DatabaseQueue
- Route Subscriber, dynamic routing, and route alterations (formerly hook_menu_alter)
- Events Dispatcher (Symfony-based partial replacement for Drupal's hook system)
- Defining your own Plugin API (formerly a custom hook)
- Rebuilding REST client for Salesforce API
Slides from the presentaion are available here: https://slides.com/aaronbauman/sfd8
- Good knowledge of Drupal module / contrib space.
- Interest in Salesforce or other 3rd-party integrations a plus.